Reports of our Demise…

This is the story of a short hiatus from the blog.

To fill the time until we come back, we give you a picture of a painted flossie on a Charleston street corner at Christmastime.

We have not fallen from the face of the Earth, nor have we ended our trip. We expect a lot more of the latter (and hopefully less of the former) in the future.
Painted Flossie on a Street Corner at Christmas
Rather, we’re in Charleston.

We’re having a bit of a winter visit, as the Neil-side of the family has had a member in the hospital (things are going astonishingly well with that) and we turned the ability to live anywhere into an opportunity to live nearby for a while. After a brief stopover in Summerville, we are staying in beautiful Historic Charleston, down with all the SOBs (South of Broad Streeters, for the passers-by; the NOBs live on the other side).

We will be taking the opportunity to have a good visit with family and friends (Shaula has never lived in Charleston before, and Neil hasn’t in a decade) and taking lots of pictures. While most of you probably won’t be interested in where Neil went to school, or stopped for a car on fire, we hope to get lots of postable pictures of historic places and changes in the city.

We currently have no plans of riding the Coburg Cow.

1 Willie Saw { 03.10.09 at 12:16 pm }

I saw that cow two years ago when we visited Charleston with our daughter and son-in-law Silor. We found the cow very moooooooo-ving.

2 Neil { 03.10.09 at 12:21 pm }

You’re just saying that because it rides around in circles . . .

3 Duncan Bucknell { 03.11.09 at 11:38 pm }

aha – I wondered where you guys had got to.
Hope you’re having a fantastic time.
Cheers
Duncan

4 Shaula { 03.13.09 at 6:57 am }

Hi, Duncan! We are always having a fantastic time, in fact. Not necessarily the time we expect, but it is always fantastic.

5 Antonios { 03.14.09 at 1:02 pm }

Hey, Shaula and Neil! I wasn’t aware of this blog. Your travels sound like a great adventure. I’ll be following your progress, and finding inspiration in your posts, I’m sure.

6 John C. Mannone { 03.14.09 at 1:17 pm }

Hello Neil and Shaula,

I envy your being in Charleston. It is such a romantic place. I remember visiting there with my wife back in Sept 1993. I was working in Southport, NC, but my home is in east TN. Lyda flew in commercially and we then flew in our Archer II, just purchased the month before, to Chareston for the weekend. We ate at the Oyster Factory, a fairly new restaurant at the time, I think. Many great memories. Lovely town. You all have fun!

John

7 Neil { 03.14.09 at 1:38 pm }

Antonios,
We’re thrilled if we can provide any inspiration, although these days, I think, we’re more mosey than muse.
Glad to have you aboard =]

8 Neil { 03.14.09 at 1:45 pm }

John,
’93 was a good time to be around Charleston. The city is eat-up with oyster bars, but our favorite shellfish right now is a blue-cheese oyster dish from the Glass Onion, down near The Cow.
We were in Eastern Tennessee, just this fall—before we headed to Charleston—and took the Dragon this way. We have family off the other end of it. It’s a beautiful piece of country.

9 Sue Babcock { 03.14.09 at 2:20 pm }

I’m glad you made it to a destination :) and are taking the time to visit. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Charleston – someplace to put on my list. Hope you have a chance to relax and enjoy the city, I hear it is really lovely!

10 John C. Mannone { 03.14.09 at 2:30 pm }

Indeed, east TN is about a pretty a place I have seen anywhere (I grew up in Baltimore).

The Glass Onion looks like a neat place. I didn’t see a listing of their recipes. Blue cheese and oysters…sounds interesting, especially if they are wood smoked (as they do them in NC).

On a hunch that Savannah, GA would be just as romantic as Charleston, SC, Lyda and I flew there for our anniversary in April 1995 (by then I was instrument rated and that came in handy!). Though we enjoyed Savannah, it paled when compared with Charleston. I suppose the thing that made it disappointing was the tremendous contrast between the affluent riverfront and the abject poverty a few blocks away (20 years ago). I hadn’t seen that level of difference since I’ve visited the Bahamas…filthy rich or filthy poor, not much in between.

By the way, the best kalamakia (calamare) I’ve ever had was in Savannah in a Greek restaurant called the Olympiad (I think).

While you’re in SC, you might look up GC Smith (another Zoetroper). He is a writer in Beaufort, SC.

Cheers,
John

11 Neil { 03.14.09 at 5:57 pm }

Sue,
Y’all are welcome for a visit =]
I highly recommend shooting for the Spring. Charleston in bloom is second to nowhere, but Charleston does dog-days you never want to experience.
Hopefully we’ll get some good pictures to post while we’re here. There’s more to see than the cow.

12 Neil { 03.14.09 at 6:02 pm }

John,
Savannah is quite the place, and they have had a big urban redevelopment push since you were there. The riverfront area is more of a river-walk, now–lots of shops, lots of foot traffic. Many of the old boarded up buildings have been taken over and recolonized, as well. It’s shaping up quite nicely.

Charleston and Savannah share a lot of aesthetics, although the character is different. Charleston grew somewhat more organically (essentially 7 towns that grew together) while Savannah was more planned, and henceforth has more of a grid-nature.

BTW, I made an error above; the dish is actually oysters and brie. And Glass Onion does just a daily specials page; their menu changes every day.

13 Dan Hull { 03.27.09 at 4:58 am }

Each year, I spend the last week in December and New Year’s day in Charleston. It’s an overlooked gem: a rich quilt of peoples and incredible turns and events. Like NYC, lots happened there for a very long period of time before the US was even dreamed of. Speaking of lost gems, more from this blog would be nice; too many medi0cre sites out there so get on stick, please. We’ll be watching in hopes of a Renaissance.

14 Neil { 03.27.09 at 11:06 am }

Dan,
A pleasure to welcome you into out little corner. Final Week is generally when Charleston is trying to be cold and bitter (for perspective, Shaula came to Charleston for our first Christmas together, and we spent the week cruising in a convertible with the top down. We tend to get Hawaii weather for Christmas.)

We’re happy for the support, and we’re going to kick back into writing gear soon… Right now we are winding down family business, and trying to get around to see some much-neglected friends, before we hit the road again =]