Are We There Yet?

This trip started off on July 1 as a leisurely 2 week drive from Virginia to New Mexico.

Or so we thought.

We’ve now been on the road for almost 4 months, driven over 3000 miles, and visited 12 states and 1 province.

Click here to see a map of the approximate route we’ve driven to date.

After all that traveling, we’re in Charlotte, North Carolina: less than 300 miles from where we started, and over 1600 miles away from the capitol of New Mexico.

Our mileage has indeed varied.

We’re in no rush. We’re discovering that we really love this traveling life, and we’re only just starting to get the hang of it.

Thanks to the family, friends, and curious strangers who are reading along on our adventure of a lifetime.

Stay tuned: we’ve got a backlog of stories and photos to share and we’re looking forward to working our way through them!

Image Credit: The second card from an uncut set of ten, labeled “Collection 476, 2ème série”, issued by Romanie & Cie. in the late 19th Century, to commemorate events in ballooning history from 1795 to 1846. Taken from the Tissandier Collection at the U.S. Library of Congress, via Flickr.

1 Ron Evans { 10.27.08 at 8:10 am }

…good to have you back online.
…love the map
Love
The Dad

2 Ethan Maehl { 10.27.08 at 12:02 pm }

Wow – just checked back in after a few months of losing track – quite the epic journey you guys have underway! Let us know when you make it out to the Pacific Northwest!

3 Stacey { 10.29.08 at 3:14 pm }

Talk about going around your elbow to get to your thumb. The next time you’re passing thru’, honk. We’ll leave the light on for you.

BTW, I am making the Muhamara for our Halloween party, but I am using orange bell peppers in light of the occasion.

4 Mass { 11.13.08 at 9:16 pm }

Hey kids!
Meant to pass on the music and of course got distracted by work, life and all the usual lame excuses. That being said, you can look forward to plenty o’ audiovisual delights in the next few weeks…

Drop me a line if you have time – love to hear your impressions of the Time to Hope… !

5 Kerry { 11.19.08 at 3:18 pm }

Hmmm, I think you are avoiding SC……

6 Neil { 11.20.08 at 4:18 pm }

I can assure you, we are not avoiding SC.

=]

7 Suz { 11.20.08 at 8:54 pm }

I love New Mexico – went to Santa Fe during my senior year of college and definitely feel like I could live there. However, I think it’ll be San Diego up next. Planning a cross country trip with a few friends out to Cali after Christmas. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Suz (a.k.a. Lil’ Boozie)
“3 Troopin’ Travelers”

8 Neil { 11.21.08 at 11:39 am }

Suz,
Welcome, and bon voyage =]
Research up front, and research as you go. We have a couple of lists of things for you in the right sidebar; Free WiFi, and some handy links to useful sites. As we come up with other tips, we’ll write them up.