Easy morning yoga for staying fit on the road

pink flowered bathing capGetting healthier is one of our prime motivations for this road trip. We hope to wind up the trip by settling down in a new home with a better climate and walkable neighbourhoods in a sustainable community.

In the short term, we want to get in shape and stay healthy on the road! So far, we’re trying to build healthier choices into the fabric of our travel life such as (even more) plant-based, whole foods eating; more walking; and more exercise in general.

I was really excited when I found this Quick A.M. Yoga Twist video with Rodney Yee from Gaiam because we can do the routine together by lying end-to-end on an average hotel bed. We just point towards the same wall at the same time rather than following the “left” and “right” instructions in the video.

If only we had bathing caps, we’d look like Ester Williams in stereo.

Unfortunately, Gaiam hasn’t set the video up so I can embed it for you here, but you can click over to watch it on their site. We just play it on a laptop, and we’ve found that after watching it once, we can follow along just by listening.

The 5 minute stretch seems to do wonders for our backs, and all the twisting gets our digestive apparatus revved up for breakfast.

If you try it out, with or without bathing caps, let us know what you think.

If you can recommend other simple stretches suitable for hotel rooms or highway rest stops, please let us know, too! We’re trying to pull off the road more often on long drives to stretch out and we haven’t settled on the perfect routine yet.

Photo Credit: Patita & Catita of Starfields

1 holler { 09.21.08 at 7:49 am }

Well that is a new way to do yoga certainly! I think my yoga teacher would have a fit, if I mentioned it, ha ha! But hey, if it works, then why not.

P.S. Your entry is up on the No Croutons Required September roundup, along with the voting poll.

Good Luck

2 Elizabeth { 09.22.08 at 10:43 am }

This is a great tip! Thanks.

3 Kathy { 09.24.08 at 9:45 am }

Shaula….
Sounds like quite an adventure you’re on!!
Please stay safe and enjoy every minute of your trip!!
kat

4 Xanthippas { 09.25.08 at 2:49 pm }

Rodney Yee! I used to wake up and do his a.m yoga video. Of course that was before law school and children ruined my health and sucked away my free time.

5 Kerry { 09.26.08 at 12:16 pm }

Okay that’s hysterical. I didn’t think Neil was coordinated enough to not hit you. Hope ya’ll are having fun.

6 Neil { 09.26.08 at 3:33 pm }

I look serious and carry a clipboard. That way it looks like I’m coordinated.

7 Jim Bessey { 09.27.08 at 5:42 pm }

Great-looking blogsite, Shaula!

That video sounds like fun…Best of luck to you in your new home.

~Jim

8 Shaula { 09.28.08 at 9:52 pm }

holler: I hope your yoga teacher might feel a little better if s/he understood that in most of hotels we’ve stayed at, I’d be afraid to lie on the floor! We’d rather do things “right,” but we’re doing the best we can with the situations we’re in.

Kat: thanks for checking out the site, gorgeous. It is a treat to see you pop up in the comments. :)

Xanthippus: did I know you did law school? Thank you for dropping in. It is nice to see old blogging friends here. :)

Kerry: Neil is marvelously coordinated. He’s actually better at all of this than I am.

Neil: Kerry said “coordinated,” not “organized.” (!)

Jim: Thank you for the kind words. :)

9 yogaworld { 10.06.10 at 6:05 am }

This is interesting, post more often!

1 Trackback/Ping

1 Best of New Age, Yoga & Meditation Articles & Blogs { 10.20.08 at 4:19 pm }

[…] presents Easy morning yoga for staying fit on the road posted at Your Mileage May Vary, saying, "This easy yoga stretch is a great way to start the […]