Time Travel: Dallas 2001

Reading about the bankruptcy of the Lehman Brothers investment firm last night transported me back to the telecom industry meltdown of 2001, which I watched from my ring-side seat as a recruiter in the Dallas Telecom Corridor.

I have written elsewhere about the human consequences of the bankruptcy in Brace for the Lehman Bankruptcy Trickle Down.

I invite you to click through for the article if you’re interested in some non-travel writing.

Photo credit: Otherland Toys

1 Doug Alder { 09.16.08 at 5:31 pm }

Wow – I thought you had disappeared forever until I saw a hit from your old blog in my referrers today :) Good article on the Lehman meltdown btw.

2 Shaula { 09.16.08 at 5:35 pm }

I was laid low with health issues for quite a while there, but I am pleased to report that I still walk (and ride) among the living.

Thanks for the kinds words about the article.

How are YOU these days?

3 Doug Alder { 09.18.08 at 9:01 am }

same old same old :) work, work, work, blog, work, work, work, LOL. Good to hear that the trip is helping your health. I though for sure you would be up to your neck in work on Obama’s campaign but it’s good to see it appears you’re giving yourself a break from that

4 Christine Gilbert { 09.18.08 at 10:52 am }

I remember the 2001 one… the market was just flooded for a while. Everyone had telecom experience and was looking for a job. Sounds like we’re headed towards the same thing.

5 Shaula { 09.18.08 at 4:14 pm }

Doug: it is funny how all my Canadian friends have assumed I’d be working with Obama this cycle. I guess being sick for so long has made me lose touch with friends worse than I thought. I do some quiet, pro bono consulting for feisty down-ballot candidates, and that’s about all I get up to in an official capacity with politics these days. My health still makes me too unreliable for professional-grade commitments, unfortunately. But smaller races need love, too, and those campaigns are really where my heart lies and where, even in my current state, I can still lend a little help.

Christine: it sure feels like deja vu to me. As a good friend who writes economic analysis likes to say, now is a good time to make sure your marriage (primary relationship) is solid, check in with your support network, pay down your debts, and invest in infrastructure like dental work and a good winter coat.

6 Doug Alder { 09.18.08 at 11:19 pm }

Well we are bit removed from the scene up here you know :) In any case health is far more important than politics so do take care of yourself and thanks for the comment on Diane’s blog. We’re leaving in the morning for a week in Vancouver – then Diane is off to Montreal to see the one and only grandchild who will be turning one the day she lands.